Saturday, May 16, 2015

Who do I draft first?



Dez Bryant or Odell Beckham Jr?

First off, I would like to thank everyone that has been reading my page and hopefully using it to better their knowledge. I am getting a lot of feedback from some of you and also some questions to answer, which is why I made my page in the first place.

I got an email yesterday from a gentleman named Mike wondering who he should draft and why if Dez Bryant and Odell Beckham Jr. are still available? This one is a hard decision, but I didn't have to think about it too long in order to realize who the front runner was.

Odell Beckham Jr., in my opinion is the front runner. In my top 25 wide receiver post earlier this week (you can still view it on my page), Beckahm Jr. was my number 1 rated wide receiver to draft in fantasy. Dez Bryant  is a touchdown machine in Dallas. He is Tony Romo's number 1 target and with the running game being dominant, it leaves Dez open after play action. Dez was rated number 4 on my list to draft and below is are what I like and dislike about both players.



Odell Beckham Jr.

Positives

  • Has the best set of hands in the NFL and proved that with the 2 fingered catch vs. Dallas
  • He is young, has a fresh set of legs and dominated the league as a rookie
  • Has a 2 time Super Bowl Champion throwing him the ball
  • Extremely Quick and can get open short or deep
Negatives
  • Has Victor Cruz coming back this season and he might take some catches away this season
  • Was his rookie season a fluke? Can he repeat it or do better?
  • Can he stay healthy all season?
Dez Bryant

Positives
  • Big Bodied receiver that goes up to grab anything thrown his way
  • Extremely competitive and strives to be the best
  • Had more receiving touchdowns than any other wide receiver last year
Negatives
  • If the Cowboys can't get their running attack going this year, will Tony Romo choke as usual and not get Dez the ball?
  • Will Dez get frustrated and argue with his teammates if the Cowboys start losing?

All that being said, I believe Beckham has more of a fantasy upside. He works hard, can catch almost anything thrown near him and we haven't seen what he can do in a full 16 game season. Dez to me is high risk/high reward in fantasy football. He can be great for 2 games and average for the next 2. Fantasy football is all about being consistent week in and week out. You want your first round draft picks to be consistent and if they are not, they usually make the owner lose more often then not due to their lack of performance.  All I can say is, Calvin Johnson, watch out because Odell is coming for your receiving yard record.


Hope this helped you out Mike. Make a judgement call and do what you think is best.

Cheers

If you want to ask questions or have comments, email ffltalk@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment